Top 10 Neighborhood Tips
- Lock out crime; keep your garage doors down and the doors to your home and vehicle locked.
- Sensor and/or other strategically placed lighting is always a bright idea.
- Shrubbery should be trimmed below window level and the pricklier the foliage, the better for you.
- Know who your neighbors are and what cars they driver. Being this kind of nosy neighbor may keep them and you safe.
- If you walk or run at night, wear white or light colored clothing. Reflective tape or reflective garments are great additions to your workout wardrobe. Also, tell family members your route and always carry identification with you.
- While away for extended periods, set timers to turn on lights at the end of the day.
- While away on vacation, or a business trip, have someone pick up your papers or have the service interrupted while you are away.
- When using 9-1-1, be calm. Be clear and concise with information and facts. This will help the police a great deal.
- Program 9-1-1 into your cell phone so that if you are involved in an accident it will be easier to call for assistance. Be aware of where you are at all times because your cell phone does not give an address on 9-1-1 screens.
- When going to your vehicle in a parking lot or other location, always have your keys ready. Be aware of your surroundings and who might be around. Have a companion and look under your car and in the backseat before entering.