Practicing water conservation is good for the environment and helps lower your utility bill. The average family uses approximately 12,000 gallons of water per month. By following some simple steps your family can make a difference and reduce what you use.
Ten Ways to Help You Save Today
There are many easy things you can do in your home to conserve water and reduce your utility bill.
- Use native plants and water by hand instead of sprinkler system - saves 1,500 gallons per month.
- Water during the cooler parts of the day and on non-windy days - saves 600 gallons per month.
- Fix leaky faucets - saves 20 gallons per day.
- Use water-saving shower heads - saves 800 gallons per month.
- Only wash full loads of laundry and dishes in washing machines and dishwashers - saves 800 gallons per month.
- Shorten showers - each minute less can save 700 gallons per month.
- Check for toilet leaks - leaks use 400 gallons per month.
- Capture rain water to water plants - saves 200 gallons per month.
- Wash your car with a bucket of water instead of a hose - saves 10 gallons each time.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving – saves 100 gallons per month.