Conserve Water in the Kitchen
Ways to Save in the Kitchen
- Don't leave the water running for rinsing. Fill one with rinse water. If you only have one sink, use a spray device or short blasts instead of letting the water run. Saves 200 to 500 gallons a month.
- When washing dishes by hand, use the least amount of detergent possible. This minimizes rinse water needed. Saves 50 to 150 gallons a month.
- Only wash full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator. This beats the wasteful habit of running tap water to cool it for drinking. Saves 200 to 300 gallons a month.
- Don't defrost frozen foods with running water. Place frozen items in the refrigerator overnight or defrost them in the microwave. Saves 50 to 150 gallons a month.
- Don't let the faucet run while you clean vegetables. Rinse them in a filled sink or pan. Saves 150 to 250 gallons a month.
- Use the garbage disposal less. Saves 50 to 150 gallons a month.