History of Seagoville
The Town of Seago was founded in 1876 by a gentleman named T.K. Seago (1836-1904). Mr. Seago cleared his land of dense timber and built the first store in the area. His stock consisted of $200 in dry goods and groceries. Mr. Seago was postmaster of Seago in 1881 and was known to be in the area until at least 1883. Mr. Seago moved from here to Comanche, Texas, and represented Comanche County in the Texas Legislature.
The first school in Seago, known as Brinegar School, was built around 1867. It was a one-room log building with split log seats. The school was located somewhere in the vicinity of what is now known as Heard Park. The next school building was built by Professor J.T. Doss in 1880. It was a frame building and was destroyed by fire in 1909. A brick building was built in 1910 as a high school on a site that is currently the home of Seagoville Elementary School on Kaufman Street.
The T & NO Railroad came through Seago in 1880 and helped the area become a busy and thriving rail center. This was significant because the farmers and other citizens no longer had to go to Lawson for their mail. Also, the farmers could market their cotton and other crops by shipping them to Dallas on the railroad instead of wagons. Before the railroad, there were locks on the Trinity River several miles south of the City where incoming freight for the area could be received via river barges. During times of severe drought, portions of the locks can still be seen.
From Seago to Seagoville
The first official plat of the City was recorded in Dallas County Deed Records in 1883 with a second plat being filed in 1926 upon the incorporation of the City of Seagoville. The U.S. Post Office had added the “ville” to “Seago” in 1910 to avoid confusion with another city in Texas named Sego.
View the Complete History of Seagoville