Compliments and Complaints

Steps to Filing a Citizen Complaint

1. If you wish to make a complaint about the actions of a Seagoville Police Officer or any aspect of the Seagoville Police Operations, or if you feel you are a victim of racial profiling, please:
  • Come to the Police Department, 600 N. U.S. Highway 175, and advise anyone in the Records Division that you want to make a complaint, or request a supervisor, or
  • Call the Police Department, 972-287-2999 and tell the person answering the telephone that you want to make a complaint, or
  • Write your complaint out by downloading the complaint form online and mailing it to:
Chief of Police, Raymond Calverley
Seagoville Police Department
600 N. U.S. Highway 175, Seagoville, Texas 75159

2. Any Seagoville Police Officer will assist you in completing a complaint. You will be asked to identify yourself and then give specific details about your complaint.

Steps to Filing a Citizen Complaint (continued)

3. Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked for additional information about your complaint. Please be aware of the following:
  • In order for administrative action to be taken against an employee the complaint must be in writing and signed per Texas Law.
  • Texas Law also requires that a copy of the written complaint be given to the Officer.
  • An unsigned complaint will still be investigated but no administrative action will be taken against the employee.
4. If the complaint involves extended investigation, you will receive a letter explaining approximately how long it will take.

5. When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police will review the investigation and write you a letter explaining the results.

Guiding Legislation

State of Texas: Government Code
To be considered by the head of a state agency or by the head of a fire
department or local law enforcement agency, the complaint must be:
(1) in writing; and
(2) signed by the person making the complaint
(a) A copy of a signed complaint against a law enforcement officer of this state or a
fire fighter, detention officer, county jailer, or peace officer appointed or employed by
a political subdivision of this state shall be given to the officer or employee within a
reasonable time after the complaint is filed.

(b) Disciplinary action may not be taken against the officer or employee unless a
copy of the signed complaint is given to the officer or employee.